Monday, August 11, 2008

I recently got a crash course in figuring out who my real friends are.

My Grandpa Max was taken to the hospital about 2 months ago with a massive aortic aneurysm. Things were not looking good, the place I was getting ready to drive to was flooding badly and I was not ok.
Insult to injury, I had to break plans with my Sexy Friend who I will refer to from here on out as Sexy Mc Longrod. Why? Because I want to.

My Grandpa Max taught me to drive a stick shift when I was 10. He used to chaperone field trips with me and my sister when we were little, and would give us all the answers to those stupid worksheets and let us run around and learn on our own. He's the best Grandpa you could ever ask for, so I was so far from alright that it wasn't funny.

So what does Sexy Mc Longrod do? He drives 2 hours from Bloomington to give me a big hug. This despite the fact that I hadn't showered. That, readers, is a good friend.

He just wrapped his arms around me and let me cry for a good half an hour. He didn't say anything, just scratched my head and kissed me on the top of the head. Which is what I needed.

Somehow we got started talking about family. And I told him the truth, that my Daddy was a Navy Seal.

The conversation went something like this:
SMLR: Your dad was a SEAL?
Me: Yep.
SMLR: He's probably watching us right now.
Me: Yep. From Texas, he's got the cross hairs on your forehead right now.
SMLR: :Looks left, looks right, pokes my boob:
Me: I'm sure he'll be calling in a few to tell you that the bullet is on it's way from Texas.

Then, and I swear to god this is true, my cell phone rings.

It was my father, who has never in his life called me for anything ever, calling to see what I was doing.

I'm surprised Sexy Mc Longrod didn't dive off the couch and hide.

That alone is not why he's an awesome guy.

This is why.

I don't cry, ever. I don't ever let people see me cry, so I hate it. And when I went to drop him off at the car, I warned him "Don't you ever tell anyone about this".

His response?

He looked me right in the eye and said "Or what? You'll cry about it?"

And that's why he's awesome. Because for a second there, everything was fine.

Thankyou, Sexy Mc Longrod. Couldn't have gotten through it without you love.

No comments: