Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I know it's been a little while since I've posted. It's been kind of a crazy week and a half.

On the 19th, I got a call from my friend Deanne. Deanne, unfortunately, seems to have become the bearer of bad news.

I knew it was bad news when I saw a missed call from Shawn, and then a missed call from Deanne.

I knew it was really bad news when I checked the follow up text from Deanne telling me I needed to call her right now.

I knew it was really, really bad news when the first words out of her mouth were "You need to sit down".

For once in my life, I actually did what I was told.

"Mackenzie is dead". That's all I really remember about the conversation. She says I just made some noises like I was trying to talk, but the words didn't seem to work.

Mack was the little sister of one of my closest friends, and kind of like a little sister to all of us. She became such a part of our lives that I still can't wrap my head around the idea that she's gone. Some of my favorite memories have Mackenzie in them.

I'm still reeling, and so are most of my social circle.

I drove out to Iowa the next day, and spent the time I wasn't with her sister crying into my best friend's shirt. In my defense, I warned him not to wear light colors.

I just haven't had much to say since.

Everyone seems to be going around their lives, happy and oblivious, and all I can think about is how can they be happy when we are all falling apart? And I keep waiting to wake up from what is just an awful nightmare.

Mack, you will be missed terribly. I love you, and I'm better for having known you.

There's not much else to say.

No comments: