Tuesday, June 01, 2004

I was just offered the opportunity to go travel around the world with an insanely rich, good looking man. He offered to pay my bills for me while I was gone, provided that I could behave myself well around his clients (which, provided my background, I am more equipped to do than you'd imagine). There would be Lexus's, expensive wine, and private jets. I had my bag half packed until he said the phrase "I can afford whatever makes you happy".

Then I started thinking.

I'd give my left boob for money, the ability to drive a fancy car and eat food made by someone with a French name I can't pronounce. I'd love to be able to fly on a private jet and rake in 6 figures a year. But buying anything that makes me happy?

I'm not sure about that. Can you really buy drinking beer after beer at a Lucky Boys Confusion concert with 2 of your best friends? What about drinking hot chocolate with those little marshmallows on an overcast day, day dreaming out the window from your loft? Or driving around in the summer with the windows down and the music up?

I'm not sure I could be that girl. The girl who spends hours at the gym making sure the crepes suzette I ate the night before aren't sticking to my thighs. Worrying about what someone's clients will think if I'm not perfectly primped, prodded, made up and propped up in the latest designer clothes. I'm not sure I can handle getting my nails done all the time, and I'm not sure I like the idea of having to dress to impress all the time.

This is not to say I'm a slob, this is just to say that I want to be with someone like Shawn, Chris, or the rest of the guys. That's what makes me happy. I'm not sure you can buy the comfort that stems from being with someone who doesn't give a crap if you gained 10 pounds, wear sweatpants around the house, and don't always wear makeup. What makes me happy is having someone to watch The Simpsons, drink cheap beer and eat pizza with. Don't get me wrong, I still want the Lexus's, fancy hotels, and shitloads of money...but I always figured that would come when the rest gets figured out.

Until then, I'll be chillin on my futon in sweats, drinkin beer, and eating pizza.

No comments: